December 23, 2008

Christmas Shoes- Gifts from the heart



I had heard the song "Christmas Shoes" for the first time this year and as I listened to the words, a lump in my throat formed and the tears could not be held back. Struck with such emotion I realized it had been quite some time since I had been touched with the spirit of Christmas in this way, through this touching story.


a young boy's mother who is terminally ill (the result of heart failure), the boy tries to get a pair of Christmas shoes for her before his mother dies, and diligently collects empty cans to raise the money to purchase beautiful shoes.


On Christmas Eve the little boy rushes to a local shoe store to buy the perfect pair of shoes for his mother...






A little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing around like little boys do
And in his hands he held
A pair of shoes

And his clothes were worn and old
He was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time
You see, she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes will make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful
If Momma meets Jesus, tonight.

He counted pennies for what seem like years
And cashier says son there's not enough here
He searched his pockets franticly
And he turned and he looked at me
He said Momma made Christmas good at our house
Though most years she just did without
Tell me Sir
What am I gonna do?
Some how I’ve got to buy her these Christmas shoes

You can sense the boy must be so distraught, a stranger recognizes the emotion of the boy and gives the remaining money needed to complete the purchase. The child is thus able to buy the shoes for his mother and runs home in a haste to give them to her before she dies.

The story to many people teaches the meaning of Christmas that it is not just about the presents, it's about other people, giving them the best Christmas and caring about them.



















Gifts from the heart are the most memorable and most cherished.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that you've learned a bit more about Ballet shoes, I hope that you understand why this is a subject that is so important to me personally. In case you were wondering, my niece did not stick with ballet and is not a ballerina anymore, although it is not because the ballet shoes I bought for her weren't good enough. She eventually outgrew them, however, and she was not all that graceful anyway.